Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Cabbage Chair

Isn't this chair simply gorgeous?? Designed by Nendo for the XXIst Century Man exhibition curated by Issey Miyake, the cabbage chair is made out of the pleated paper that is produced in mass amounts during the process of making pleated fabric. This paper is usually abandoned as an unwanted by-product.

The cabbage chair is created by peeling away the layers of a roll of pleated paper one layer at a time. Resins are added during the original paper production process to add strength. Since the production process is so simple, the chair could be shipped as one compact roll for the user to cut open and peel back at home.

5 comments:

/// said...

Oh gracious-- I looooove this find! Nice job! And thanks for your sweet comment; I'm flattered. Hello? I'm your biggest fan! :)

laissezfaire said...

oh no no...right now, I am your biggest fan! I just spent the last hour reading your blog and am so deeply amazed, excited and inspired!

ShutterBug said...

WOW! I love this chair!!

so simple, so eco-friendly and so chic!

Anonymous said...

This is so wonderful! I was wondering about what Issey Miyake was doing just the other day...

Anonymous said...

It really is some kind of etheral beauty to it! Gorgeous!