1. Lighting. Can't stress how important good lighting is in ones perception of a room. Where you can, take advantage of natural lighting to cast light and shade onto your walls and add visual depth to your room.
2. Mix and match similar colour tones on doors, walls and different surfaces in the same room to accentuate certain unique features. However, don't get too carried away with this. Usually, I will play with not more than 3 different colours on any major surface in the same room.
3. Use your wall as a backdrop for your artwork!
4. Pay attention to wall textures, especially if you have a simple room and are going for the sparse look.
5. Vary the colour intensity to create visual definition and depth.
6. Take extra care in selecting fabrics for your bedding, curtains, carpets etc. Use colours and prints that will go well with your wall colour.
For more tips on how to use colour for your rooms, click here.
(pics from Marie Claire Maison)