Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Claerwen James

I have to admit that I am not a fan of portraits as I find them too literal and direct. But I couldn't help gasping at the beauty of these artwork by Claerwen James when I saw them at Layer's of Meaning. Claerwen has a doctorate in Cell Biology from the University of London. While Science was her first love, she enrolled at the Slade School of Fine Arts after realising that painting was the centre of her life.
The colours, mystery and beauty of the expressions captured by these still portraits are beyond words. More of her work can be seen here.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wow. For someone who was focusing on a different career these portraits are breathtaking! What a great find!

Michelle said...

I love Claerwen James - First saw her work in a favourite interior book called Home by Anita Kaushal. Just amazing!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful and mesmerizing!

leticia@galsintheknow.blogspot.com/ said...

absolutely beautiful!!
love your blog, btw;-)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

http://annaelizabethpoole.blogspot.com/